08 December 2010

Political Participation: Narrative

My POS 110 service project was politically themed. My political participation was relatively non-partisan as it was completed through “Politico,” which is a coalition between the different political clubs present on campus. A majority of my hours are derived from working voter registration booths. I worked both a voter registration booth at “Meet the Teachers Night,” as well as a handful of varsity football games. In total, I was present at the registration booth when seven people registered, which reflects the high amount of conscious voters that are present in Anthem. When not urging people to register to vote, I handed out flyers urging voters to vote “yes” on the Deer Valley District Override on the upcoming ballot. Even after the registration date closed I continued to hand out and talk to people concerning the Override at football games. The advantage of being able to inform voters at football games, besides the fact that there is a high turnout, is that the visiting team, if also in the district, can vote “yes” and thus this (slightly) grassroots movement traveled outside of our school boundaries and, hopefully, resulted in a domino effect. I also participated in setting-up and take-down of Politico’s second annual political panel, which included making and handing out advertisements for the panel and then the actual program of it, making name tags, setting up chairs and tables, and making signs. I also gained observation hours by watching the moderated political panel. The total time I served over the span of three months adds to 18 hours, a number that does not include club meetings and school spirit participation (as in Club Rush).

No comments:

Post a Comment